I did something today that I've never done before. Ever.
I bought a whole chicken, washed it, and boiled it in a stock pot with the usual suspects (aka - carrots, garlic, onions, celery.)
It sounds much less traumatic than it really was. Ok, ok... I'm being dramatic. It wasn't traumatic, mostly, and I did the buying/washing/prepping myself, mostly.... And it was on sale, which vastly diminished the price tag trauma that I've gotten from buying fresh seafood and eating out at all these restaurants lately. (Yes, I'm a bit cheap.)
Anyway, I got the bird home and cut the plastic off her. Down in the sink she went, for a little rinse before the long hot bath she was about to get. I was perfectly fine until something brownish/red floated out of her cavity, and I remembered a little too late that I had to get the goodies out of the chicken's belly before I could go any further. I really did try to stick my hand in and fish out the liver/kidneys/yuckiness out, but I just couldn't do it. Thankfully, M courageously offered to take care of it for me.
And our two kitties had a most wonderful treat!! They really were the 2 happiest kitties in kitty-town.
The little chicken boiled 90ish minutes, until (per various websites said) the meat started falling off the bone.
It was easy. And it made some tender, tasty chicken. Now I need some recipes to make use of it all. Please share your favorite ideas in the comments section....
You're partway to one of my very very favorites ever: http://nevertoomanycooks.blogspot.com/2010/01/jewish-penicillin-aka-chicken-soup-with.html
ReplyDelete