05 October 2010

From Fish to Feathers

M said she might have to murder me if I made her eat shrimp again any time soon...and she begged me to start eating chicken just so she'd have a little diversity in her diet.
So, as I was figuring out our menu for the upcoming 2 week period, I threw in some chicken dishes. I started thinking about things I ate when I was growing up, things which I remember as being pretty tasty, and I kept returning to recipes which originated with my Granny. 
Granny, who was known to *everyone* in town by that name, could cook just about anything. She rarely used recipes, and I can't remember seeing a measuring cup or spoon anywhere in her kitchen. She was just that good. She taught me how to make flowers with icing for petit fours, egg salad, and fruit cake. She made green beans that were so heavenly that I tend to avoid them now, because I know they're just not going to be as good.
Her chicken noodle casserole made an immediate appearance on the menu. Of course, I'm still looking for a "recipe" for it, since many of her recipes have been divvied up among aunts and granddaughters since her death. So, for right now, the chicken noodle casserole of my childhood is on stand-by.

As for the inaugural chicken dinner, I decided that I *needed* wings. M was concerned that I would be freaked out by the bones in the wings. I thought that I should get the fear/disgust out of the way. So, M and I ordered 30 wings to-go, with 2 different sauces. My wings were coated with a remoulade, M's wings were spicy Parmesan.
My first thought as I hefted the Styrofoam container from the bag was, "Boy this is heavy!! Maybe 15 wings were way too much!" But then I smelled that spicy sauce, and remembered that I would probably sell my soul for a good remoulade.
Yes, I hesitated for a minute or two before biting into my first wing. And I was a little freaked out by the bones at first. But I got over it.
I ate 5 wings before I thought I might explode. I know quite a few people who probably would've finished off all 30, but I get full very quickly when I eat meat, and frankly, I never did eat a large amount of food in a sitting. Don't worry, though, I had wings again the next day for a snack after work.
And they were just as delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment