13 September 2010

Nacho Ordinary Luau

M and I have a standing date on Monday nights called Luau. I've heard bits about how the name originated... something about a bad day (which happened to be a Monday) and commiserating with pina coladas. Somehow the tradition stuck, insomuch as everyone still meets up at the same house on Mondays, rain, shine, holiday, or whatever, for Luau.
It's a great time, whether 2 people or 15 people show up.

But this post is about a Nacho Ordinary Luau, so it's special.
Tonight's Luau is brought to you by the letter W, as in wedding, and the number 2.
Our friends Patrick and Jenn are getting married soon, so naturally, we're celebrating with nachos, and whatever else the group brings for snacks, drinks, etc.

One of the mainstays of the Luau group is this concoction called "Sausage Crack." Obviously, I've never tried it, but supposedly it's so good that one taste leads to another and another and another...and then you're addicted, and that's that. Because Jenn is a long-time vegetarian, I've never had a better occasion to try a veggie version of the Luau favorite.

Thankfully it's easy to make, and just takes 3 ingredients:

1 package cream cheese
1 can Rotel tomatoes/peppers
1 lb sausage (tonight's version has a tube of Gimme Lean ground sausage style vegetable protein in place of the meat. Yes, I said "tube" of "meat." You may giggle now.)

I sprayed the pan with a little oil, using my trusty Misto. Then I attempted to brown the "soysage," but because of the lack of fat, it took a bit more oil that I intended, and it didn't brown as much as I thought it would, but it does get noticibly firmer as it cooks. Take note, veggies.
Then, add the Rotel.
Then add the cream cheese.
If you've let it come to room temp, like a good girl or boy, you may turn off the heat now. If not (like me,) let it melt a little, then turn the heat off.
Stir until incorporated. You'll know when it's done.

Simple as that.
Scoop up with chips, or flatbread, or fingers, or spoons. Whatever, really. It's good. Probably not as good as pork fat....

Hopefully, Jenn will find it just as addictive, without the pesky vegetarian guilt....

2 comments:

  1. I find the concept of vegetarian sausage crack a potentially unforgivable heresy.

    (But your heart was in the right place...)

    Sooo.... how was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it wasn't bad at all. Jenn loved it. I let her take the rest home.

    ReplyDelete